Friday, December 5, 2008

The real world

A few months ago my boss took a new job in another division. Since I don't currently have any direct reports either and my work is fairly autonomous, I took it upon myself to start working what my company likes to call an "alternative work schedule." The rest of the world calls it four 10's. I call it bliss.

Sure I left a little earlier and came home a little later but it was well worth it for the three day weekends. I started taking the kiddo to Gymboree on Friday. We'd go grocery shopping. I'd watch daytime television during naptime. The hubby was able to go hunting or work in the yard or whatever else he considers fun. So pretty much, it was awesome.

Yesterday, I was asked to start working on a project for a different group. As part of that work, they also want me to attend their weekly staff meetings. Which are on Fridays.

There goes my alternative work schedule.

So here I sit, blogging working away on a Friday. And let me tell you, it is no easy task. Five day work weeks are HARD. Why did I ever switch to four days? Adding back that fifth day is brutal! I have to focus and think and go to meetings. Oh, and put on real clothes. Do you know how hard it is to shower and put on heels? On a FRIDAY? If this is the real world, I want no part of it.

Crap, I have to run to a meeting. Stupid Friday.

5 comments:

Heather December 5, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

Could you keep the 4-10, but do your free day on Monday?

Megan December 5, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

Great minds think alike ... I was going to suggest the same thing as Heather.

You could also consider a Wednesday. I have a friend who took Wednesday's off for a long while and she said it was great. Two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off, repeat!

Emily December 5, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

sorry:( i LOVE long weekends so i feel for u!!!!

The Tucson Gang December 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

Man - that stinks! 3 days off - is awesome..I can relate. But, taking Mondays - sounds like a great (although not traditional) solution. Are they up for non-traditional? :-) sorry you lost your Friday free day! :-(

Christie December 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Do you like Gymboree? I have been thinking I would try that with Henry. Is it pretty crowded?

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP