Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Memories

Christmas marked our 6th consecutive day of being confined to our house by a snowy jailer. In many ways, it reminded me of that Christmas two years ago when Lillian had just finished her 2nd round of chemo. We were stuck at home then as well and spent a quiet Christmas, just the three of us. But back then, that stifling feeling of confinement was outweighed by overwhelming gratitude to be home instead of in the hospital. How's that for perspective? Suddenly, another day at home doesn't seem so bad.

As if those similarities weren't enough, Ian spiked a 101 degree fever on the big day. And the fever was soon accompanied by spots and whining. (Poor kid!) Yep, this Christmas definitely brought back some memories. Fortunately the doctor on call today says it's likely just a viral infection. Little did we know at the time but that quiet Christmas at home was perfect for our sick kiddo.

We're counting our blessings today and holding our sick baby tight. It looks like a few more days at home are likely in our future but that's all right with me. Sometimes these are the little reminders we need to slow down and enjoy the moment.


Even the tree gets an extra dose of Christmas cheer this year...

What? You mean to tell me you're still watering your tree?

6 comments:

The Tucson Gang December 26, 2008 at 11:57 AM  

Wahoo - I bet the tree is lovin' that treat! I'm sorry to hear about poor little Ian - a few more days won't hurt any of you..and is probably exactly what the dr. ordered. Of course, this is coming from someone whose kid's go nuts if it rains for just one day! :-)

They were out jumping on the trampoline in the rain this morning...twice! :-)

Emily December 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

It sounds like your Christmas was bittersweet. Ours was too. My brother joined the Marines and will be leaving in April for bootcamp, so it was kinda bittersweet knowing we will soon won't be all together. April is a ways off, but sometimes it can seem close when you know a loved one is going away then. I will pray Ian starts feeling better soon. The poor little guy, that's never any fun, esp. on Christmas.

Megan December 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM  

I hope Ian starts feeling better soon!

LCM December 27, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

I remember that Christmas. We were living kind of paralell lives that Christmas.
Poor Ian, I imagine you won't forget his first Christmas. I hope he feels better soon.

Jennifer December 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM  

We use the same stuff in our tree!

I'm so sorry that little Ian wasn't feeling well on Christmas, but so thankful that he's okay. Merry Christmas, friend.
Love you!

Anonymous December 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Merry Christmas! I love keeping up with everyone's blogs since I am so far away from family. I read on Aunt Beth's blog that Sara has a blog too. I would love the address for it if you have it. It would be nice to see what she is up to. Please e-mail it to me if you have it. My e-mail is terijo1977@yahoo.com.
I hope Ian starts feeling better soon.
Love, Joey

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP