Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas letters - Yeah or nay

I was just reading this post about Christmas letters at Rocks in my Dryer* when it occurred to me that it hadn't occurred to me to even consider writing a Christmas letter. And that's a lot of occurring.

Or not occurring.

Anyhoo, I enjoy receiving Christmas letters. I enjoy writing. I was already addressing all those envelopes. So why not write a little letter and shove it in the prepared envelope?

Well first, as previously established, it didn't occur to me. (Duh) Second, I have these blog-thingies which basically tell you all about our lives over the past year and all totaled could be considered the world's longest cumulative Christmas letter. And third, I couldn't just write a letter. I'd have to write and edit and re-write and choose pictures and then it just becomes work.

So tell me, should I expect a Christmas letter from you this year? Were you terribly disappointed not to see a letter with our card?


*Best blog name ever.

8 comments:

Beth December 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM  

Tough question. I always do one and always enjoy getting them. But I too have questioned doing one now that I have a blog. I think I am going to do an abbreviated one this year for those who didn't know we had a blog and give a warning of no letter next year, so they must read the blog :) Yet I know there are those who will never read the blog (technology impaired individuals), so who knows!

LCM December 9, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

I figured we got out of writing Christmas cards because we just sent out the one with Fiona and I imagine the only thing people are really curious about is how she's doing. Also, I have never written a Christmas letter before and I wonder if I wouldn't sound stupid or bragging.

Olive_America December 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

Love to get letters that update us on what is going on with our friends.

For us, there is no letter this year. Not to be a whiner, but it has been a really rotten year - and we are just not interesting in broadcasting our infertility drama.

Sure, some letters contain unhappy news... but I just can't think of an interesting bit of news worthy of printing out.

The Tucson Gang December 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

I was just pondering this exact thing. I love getting letters - to catch up on what people are doing. BUT, so far this year, I have not received one. Just some really cute cards w/great pictures included. I loved your recipe on the back idea...loved, loved, loved it. So, i'm in the same position - write one, send one or just forget it. Don't really have time this year, but love to read others...otherwise I feel cheated. Hmmm...the debate goes on! :-)

Swiss Army Mom December 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM  

I always enjoy reading the Christmas letters, but how do you react when the message isn't so upbeat? Is that okay, or should they always focus on the positive?

Beth December 10, 2008 at 5:48 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori December 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

@ I am - As you can probably tell from my blog, I think it's important to share the good and the bad stuff. You never know who might be reading and can identify with what you're going through! And I just read in Self Magazine that blogging is good for your blood pressure. So see, it's healthy to get it all out there! :)

Letters that just show the rosy side of things can come off as braggy so mixing in the low points is okay as long as there is balance.

My 2 cents.

Megan December 10, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

I love to get letters from people. Since D and I have been married, we've done one each year. Our tradition is bragging about how many celebrity marriages we've outlasted. Of course, this year with our biggest news ever, we haven't even started it.

  © Blogger template 'Fly Away' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP